07 February 2012

#FoodForThought: The Lost Cheese

Gorgonzola is, by far, the most under-used of all the cheeses. (*disclaimer: I have done NO research and have no bases for this conclusion other than my extreme love of the cheese and a casual recognition that it is not as popular as it should be.)

Never being a big fan of cheese, I had not tried the Great Gorgonzola until I became pregnant with Miss O. While I will get into the pregnancy details at some point, I'm sure, for now I will simply say I happened to be traveling at the time. My big dreams of enjoying the exotic foods of The Netherlands and Indonesia quickly came to a crashing halt as I resolved myself to living off various forms of cheese pizza (and banana pancakes - but that is for another day!). Soon I discovered that the Dutch (well, ok, Italians who had immigrated to The Netherlands) were sheer geniuses in using Gorgonzola on their cheese pizzas and my love affair was born! (Indonesians, on the other hand, make killer mocktails..) This, surprisingly, led me to discover that it wasn't cheese with which I had a problem - it was those gross cheese platters the grocery stores make up to serve a dozen or more people! In fact, when you buy the expensive cheese, I LOVE IT! I am a bonafide CHEESE SNOB!!!! (*disclaimer: I have no certificate or degree granting me this title, I bequeathed it upon myself..)

When I started this blog I knew I wanted to do a #FoodForThought segment that broke the traditional mold (here mold - cheese, get it?) of recipe posts. I truly LOVE food. I truly DON'T want copyright infringement lawsuits - and we all know I don't cook, let alone make up my own recipes. So I decided when I write about food I am going to incorporate the meaning and emotion behind my introduction to the particular ingredient highlighted in the post rather than review a specific recipe.

With that being said, I would like to share a few of my favorite ways to enjoy Gorgonzola (feel free to google specific recipes, but don't tell anyone I sent you...)

(1) Gorgonzola, Bacon, BBQ Burgers
(2) Gorgonzola Polenta
(3) Gorgonzola and Honey on toasted flatbread (do not feed to children under 2 no matter how much they beg and scream and cry and give kisses!)
(4) Gorgonzola and Cream Sauce on Filet Mignon

Feel free to judge that we have had Gorgonzola at dinner two times this week and it's Tuesday...thankfully Miss O finds Gorgonzola just as delightful as her parents do!

What is one food you never knew you loved? Was there a food you specifically fell in (or out) of love with during pregnancy? What is a good that takes you back to a specific memory in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment